How to Start Your Own Blog
Check out my How to Start a Blog that Matters Review + Bonus
If you already have a blog, you can skip this post.
But if your still trying to figure out how to start your own blog, watch this video. All the resources mentioned are provided below.
Hosted or Self-Hosted?
- free, it’s good that it doesn’t cost anything
- but it’s bad that you don’t really own it or control it
- buy your own domain
- not expensive, costs are minimal
- you OWN and control
- it’s a business asset
- Preferred option because you have more control over the website
You will need:
- Domain name – Namecheap
- Hosting – HostGator ($4/month, unlimited hosting)
- Blog software (WordPress.org most widely used, large user base and community, lots of options, easy to administer)
- 5 minutes of free time – to set up
Before creating a blog:
- Register a domain name with Namecheap
- Get website hosting with HostGator - start with the cheapest option
- Wait for HostGator to send you an email with information – how to get into your C panel, your name server, etc.
- Take note of your name server 1 and 2.
- In Namecheap, hit domain name server setup, input the 2 name servers, and save changes – that will connect your hosting account to your domain name
If you get stuck, check out the Namecheap tutorials OR post a comment on LeanMeanMarketing.com.
Once you’re setup:
- Access your C panel -> domain name/cPanel
- Login with your username and password (found in the email HostGator sent you)
- Go to QuickInstall – click on blog software – WordPress.
- On the dropdown menu, click your chosen domain name.
- Put email address, blog title, username, first and last name -> hit install.
- Take note: Don’t use admin as your username! It’s easier to hack.
- Check your inbox – an email with your password.
- Click on the link to go to your new installation of WordPress.
- With HostGator, the Quickinstall option makes WordPress installation a lot easier.
- Pick your theme, pick your plug-ins for different features! Start creating content now!
For more themes and customization, contact iConnect-media.com!